What is IPL?
IPL or Intense Pulsed Light is the process of using specific wavelengths of light to provide a range of aesthetic and therapeutic treatments. IPL is different to laser based therapies that only produce a single wavelength of light and can therefore only treat a specific condition.
What can it be used for?
- Hair Reduction
- Rosacea and pigmentation
- Thread veins and cherry angiomas
- Acne, acne scarring and acne prevention
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Uneven skin tone and texture
What does it feel like?
You will feel a slight warm tingling sensation which is minimised by our specially designed cryo-handset which delivers a cooling effect to the skin before treatment.
Where on the body can it be used?
Unwanted hair can be removed from most parts of the body including legs, upper lip & chin, bikini line, underarm, back. Medical treatments can also be performed on most areas of the body.
Why IPL Hair Reduction?
If you’re fed up of waxing or shaving, IPL can offer a long term solution for hair reduction. IPL provides a quick and painless solution to unwanted hair with a permanent reduction in hair growth that simply can’t be achieved with conventional methods.
How does it work?
Removal of hair using IPL works by targeting the melanin in the hair follicle with quick pulses of light. This light energy converts to heat within the follicle which makes it unable to produce a new hair.
This process is most effective in the ‘anagen’ phase of hair growth. Approximately 30% of hairs are in this stage of growth at any one time therefore, to achieve the most permanent results a course of treatments is required. No IPL or laser system will ever achieve 100% permanent results. Normally 6-10 treatments may be needed. Any regrowth hair you do have will be softer and finer. Prior to your appointment and during your course, we recommend shaving to remove any unwanted hair.
What are the advantages?
- No damage to the skin surface, therefore no recovery time
- Cooling handset means it’s practically painless
- Large area can be covered compared with laser
- Non invasive
- Customised to the individual to get the best results possible
- Obstinate hairs become finer, rarer and take longer to grow back
- Achieve permanent hair reduction
- Saves money on waxing long term
Why IPL Medical Therapies?
As we age the skin’s ability to turn over new skin cells slows and the dermis becomes visible through the thin and dry epidermis, appearing as fine lines, wrinkles and pigmentation on our skin.
Skin retains moisture less efficiently, appears more tired and loses its youthful vibrancy. Sun damage and everyday facial movements like smiling or frowning cause faint lines to surface and deepen into wrinkles.
IPL therapies aim to reverse the effects of ageing and give you back youthful looking skin free of blemishes, scarring and broken capillaries.
Photorejuvenation treatment – this treatment stimulates the skin to heal itself, flooding collagen to the surface
- Treats sun damage including age spots and pigmentation
- Reduces redness and uneven pigmentation
- Effectively reduces fine lines and wrinkles
- Skin looks smoother and more even in appearance
- We recommend 3-6 treatments, 2-3 weeks apart
Vascular lesion treatment – a very quick and effective solution for thread veins (face and body), rosacea and Campbell de Morgan spots/cherry angiomas.
- When the pulsed light is absorbed by a spider vein, the light converts to heat and coagulates the vessel. Vessels may darken initially and then the body will remove the vessel over time.
- Requires only 1-3 treatments at 2-3 weeks intervals.
Acne Treatment – IPL is revolutionising acne treatment and is very effective preventative treatment without unpleasant side effects. Skin will begin to look better from the very first treatment
- Destroys the bacteria preventing new spots occurring
- Prevents overproduction of sebum and inflammation
- Stimulates collagen production improving skin texture
- Quickly see noticeable difference in your skin
- We recommend 3-4 treatments, 2-3 weeks apart
Patch Test and Consultation
Before carrying out your first treatment we will need you to visit the salon for a patch test and full consultation. Please get in touch to book your appointment with Verity.
Your aftercare for IPL therapy should include applying sunscreen to your skin as this will prevent UV damage, as well as avoiding the application of retinol or retinoids. You should keep your treatment area clean and avoid any harsh products or scrubbing of the skin. If you have any redness after treatment, it’s best to avoid applying cosmetics, going swimming, especially in hot water, or doing any exercise that involves excess sweating. If you have been treated for hair reduction, you can shave after treatment but be careful to prevent any skin injury for 4 to 5 days after treatment. For age spots, keep the skin moisturised with a petroleum based product. If you’ve been treated for rosacea or veins, don’t bathe in a hot bath or shower and avoid exercise for 48 hours afterwards.